Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Article: Report: 28 Died From Domestic Violence In MN In 09

Of the 12 women murdered, the report said that half of the murders were committed with firearms and half were victims of previous abuse by their partner.

The Coalition for Battered Women released a grim report Tuesday that said there were 28 Minnesotans murdered last year in acts of domestic violence.

Those numbers include women, children and a police officer.

Of the 12 women murdered, the report said that half of the murders were committed with firearms and half were victims of previous abuse by their partner.

The annual report said 67 percent died after leaving or attempting to leave their abusers.

"After I was brutally beaten and raped and held hostage ... I knew that choosing to leave my relationship would put me at a high risk for further escalating violence, but I felt it was a risk I needed to take," said Jennifer Denmark, a domestic violence survivor.

The Coalition for Battered women said it will ask the legislature to strengthen legal orders for protection and it wants a tougher statute on stalking.

No comments: